Saturday, May 12, 2018

Me? Listen to Audio?! #18

I listened to several books this week. 

The Enchanted April. Elizabeth von Arnim. 1922. Dramatised by Vivienne Allen. Directed and produced by Tracey Neale. 1 hour and 15 minutes.  

I've seen the movie. I've now heard the drama. I still haven't read this one...yet. I keep meaning to read it. I really do. I enjoyed the radio drama, but I think the movie was easier to follow. If I'm honest--and I do try to be honest in all my posts--it was hard to keep all the women straight in the radio drama. I think if I'd read the book it would have been easier.

Essentially, the plot is that four women--essentially strangers to one another before--agree to rent a castle in Italy for the month of April. No one can afford to do it on their own; but together anything is possible. Will this vacation live up to their expectations?!

Episode one, two, three, four, five.

Ender's Game. Orson Scott Card. 1985. Over eleven hours. Narrated by Scott Brick, David Birney, Christian Noble, Don Schlossman, M.E. Willis, Stefan Rudnicki, Harlan Ellison, Gabrielle de Cuir, etc. [Library]

I haven't read this one in ages. But there was a time I read it once a year or so. It was great to revisit an old favorite. One thing I noticed is that I tend to skim over language--bad language--as I'm reading. That's a lot harder to do in an audio book. Certain words are jarring to my ears. And this book is far from clean--in terms of language.

As for the book itself, I love it. I'm not sure if I'm more of an Ender's Game or Speaker for the Dead fan. But the books are really dependent on one another, I think. I will have to seek out Speaker now.

While I've reread Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead multiple times. I haven't really reread the other books Ender's Shadow and those sequels. 
 

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

PHDuarte said...

I have seen the movie so often I can do dialogue. It is definitely one of my favorite movies ever. The book was also enjoyable, but, for one of the few times in my life ever, I must admit I enjoyed the movie more. The acting in the movie and the location / visuals are all stunning. And I prefer the relationship of Lady Caroline and George Briggs as portrayed in the movie over the relationship in the book.