Friday, May 04, 2018

A Girl Named Misty

American Girl: A Girl Named Misty: The True Story of Misty Copeland. Kelly Starling Lyons. 2018. Scholastic. 48 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Misty Copeland loved to dance.

Premise/plot: A Girl Named Misty is an early chapter book biography of Misty Copeland, an accomplished African American ballerina. It is one of the new books in the nonfiction series by AmericanGirl. Other titles include A Girl Named Hillary and A Girl Named Rosa.

 My thoughts: I enjoyed this one! I know I've said this a thousand times--and a thousand times I've meant it--but biographies have come a LONG way since I was in elementary school. I won't say I wish I'd read it as a child because that would be impossible for several reasons. One being that Misty Copeland would have still been in elementary school herself. The second being that there's still the problem of time travel! But I am so happy that nonfiction books have improved greatly in recent decades. That there are more choices than ever before in terms of subjects.


© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: