Friday, April 06, 2018

Night Out

Night Out. Daniel Miyares. 2018. Random House. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: All alone. An invitation? A decision.

Premise/plot: A lonely boarding school student has a once-in-a-lifetime adventure leading to a fantastical story to relate to his classmates the next morning.

My thoughts: How many times should you have to read a picture book to know if you liked it? I know two times wasn't enough to persuade me to like-like it. But I did like it more the second time than the first.

The text is sparse to say the least. One is really "reading" the illustrations. The pictures do a good job of conveying the themes of this story: loneliness and a longing to belong. One of the first spreads shows the boy eating dinner all alone. This isolation continues through the evening. But by the next morning, things have started to shift--a new day with new opportunities has dawned for the boy. The difference? An adventure that only a dreamer could have.

I wanted to like this one more than I did. I should like a book where the ADVENTURE ends up in a tea party. But it is such an odd gathering. I had trouble suspending my disbelief if I'm honest.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10

© 2018 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: