Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Snow & Rose

Snow & Rose. Emily Winfield Martin. 2017. Random House. 224 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Once, there were two sisters.

Premise/plot: Snow & Rose is a re-imagining of the fairy tale Snow White and Rose Red; it is written and illustrated by Emily Winfield Martin. These two sisters had a great life before their father disappeared mysteriously in the woods, before the family had to move from their big estate to a tiny cottage near those same woods, before their mother became consumed with grief and sorrow. Will life be great again? Can Snow & Rose find a will and a way to be happy again?

My thoughts: If I'd read the original fairy tale, it was years and years ago. I did not remember it. I'm not sure if that's for better or worse! I found Snow & Rose to be a compelling, magical read. I was drawn into this one by both the characterization and the illustrations. It's just a beautiful book to hold in your hands. It makes for a great reading experience. The suspense in the book was great. If I had known the original story, perhaps that might have been lessened? Regardless, I enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it.

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: