Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Good for Nothing Button

The Good for Nothing Button. (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading #3) Charise Mericle Harper. (Mo Willems). 2017. Disney-Hyperion. 64 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Hey, look! It's Yellow Bird. Hi, Yellow Bird. Look what I have. WOW! Wowee! Wow! Wow! I cannot believe it! What is it? It is a BUTTON. A red button. Red is my favorite! What does it do? NOTHING! Nothing?

Premise/plot: Gerald and Piggie are getting ready to read another book together: The Good for Nothing Button. (Elephant and Piggie star in the first few pages and the last few pages of this one.) Three birds (Yellow Bird, Blue Bird, Red Bird) try to decide what a button does--if anything. Will these three agree? Will they agree to disagree? Can they ever decide what qualifies as "something" and what qualifies as "nothing"? Will readers?!

My thoughts: I liked it. I really love Gerald and Piggie. I miss them so much. I do wish their series was continuing on. That being said, if I can't have a full early reader book starring my favorite friends, I suppose I'll make do with these teasing intros.

The text was satisfying, but, for me the illustrations were not. The dialogue worked for me--lots of bickering, lots of emotion. The speech bubbles kept the plot moving really quickly.
© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: