Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Heirloom Murders

Heirloom Murders. (Chloe Ellefson Mystery #2) Kathleen Ernst. 2011. 349 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: "The guy tried using a pistol?" Roelke McKenna asked, as he opened his locker door. It was almost eight in the morning. He was coming on-shift; Skeet Deardorff was going off. Roelke always arrived at the Eagle police station early enough to catch up on news.

Premise/plot: The Heirloom Murders is the second in a mystery series starring Chloe Ellefson. The series is set in Wisconsin in 1982. The heroine, Chloe, is a curator at Old World Wisconsin. This one has at least one murder and several more attempted murders. While most of the book is set in 1982, the book does feature the occasional chapter from 1876.

My thoughts: To be honest, this mystery didn't quite thrill me. I am not sure if that is because it's the second in the series and the series is very much character-driven, or, if the murder mystery aspect just flopped for me. I think the series would be a good television show. I think the book has some dramatic/melodramatic elements to it that would lend itself well to television adaptation. I think it would also allow for the characterization to come through even stronger. I did care enough about the characters to keep reading--but it wasn't because I was loving the plot.

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: