Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Each Peach Pear Plum

Each Peach Pear Plum. Janet and Allan Ahlberg. 1978. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: In this book with your little eye take a look and play 'I spy.' Each Peach Pear Plum I spy Tom Thumb. Tom Thumb in the cupboard I spy Mother Hubbard. Mother Hubbard down the cellar I spy Cinderella. Cinderella on the stairs I spy the Three Bears.

Premise/plot: This "I spy" book is nursery-rhyme, nursery-tale inspired poem for parents to share with little ones. Not every single page reveals a nursery rhyme character. I was surprised to see Robin Hood and the Wicked Witch, for example. But many were. By the end, all the characters were brought together by, you guessed it, a PIE.

My thoughts: I liked this one. I'd have to ask my mom if she ever read it to me as a child--as a library book. I know I didn't own this one! But until I learn otherwise, I'm counting it as a book I discovered as an adult! I'm not a big fan of 'I spy' books in general, but, this one worked for me probably because of the Mother Goose connection, the story book connection.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

J.G. said...

It sounds like the nursery rhyme characters give this an extra dimension, which is always nice. And I like the wordplay from plum/thumb, etc. Lots going on in this one!