Saturday, June 24, 2017

Victorian Quarterly Check-In

  • What books for this challenge have you read (or reviewed) recently?
  • What are you currently reading?
  • Are there any quotes you'd like to share?
  • Who would you recommend? Anyone you would NOT recommend?
  • Favorite book you've read so far...
What books for this challenge have you read (or reviewed) recently?

✔ 6. A book with illustrations
Oliver Twist. Charles Dickens. 1838/1839. 608 pages. [Source: Bought] 
9. A book published between 1850-1860
Doctor Thorne. Anthony Trollope. 1858. 639 pages. [Source: Bought] 
✔ 12. A book published between 1881-1890
Portrait of a Lady. Henry James. 1881. 656 pages. [Source: Bought]
✔ 33. A book with a number in the title
The Three Clerks. Anthony Trollope. 1858. 648 pages. [Source: Bought]
✔ 34. A book with a place in the title 
Washington Square. Henry James. 1880. 288 pages. [Source: Bought]

 What are you currently reading?

The Bertrams by Anthony Trollope

 Are there any quotes you'd like to share?
  • Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea. ~ Henry James
  • There are as many points of view in the world as there are people of sense to take them.  ~ Henry James
  • You must save what you can of your life; you mustn’t lose it all simply because you’ve lost a part. ~ Henry James
  • A mistake’s made before one knows it. ~ Henry James
  • “I’m rather ashamed of my plans; I make a new one every day." ~ Henry James
  • Don’t mind anything any one tells you about any one else. Judge everyone and everything for yourself.” “That’s what I try to do,” said Isabel “but when you do that people call you conceited.” “You’re not to mind them — that’s precisely my argument; not to mind what they say about yourself any more than what they say about your friend or your enemy.” Isabel considered. “I think you’re right; but there are some things I can’t help minding: for instance when my friend’s attacked or when I myself am praised.” “Of course you’re always at liberty to judge the critic. Judge people as critics, however,” Ralph added, “and you’ll condemn them all!” ~ Henry James
  • You must be prepared on many occasions in life to please no one at all — not even yourself. ~ Henry James
  • When you’ve lived as long as I you’ll see that every human being has his shell and that you must take the shell into account. By the shell I mean the whole envelope of circumstances. There’s no such thing as an isolated man or woman; we’re each of us made up of some cluster of appurtenances. ~ Henry James
  • Wherever there are two men, there will be two opinions. ~ Anthony Trollope
  • All persons who have a propensity to lecture others have a strong constitutional dislike to being lectured themselves. ~ Anthony Trollope
  • “it doesn’t take long to like a person — when once you begin.” Henry James
  • “The alphabet of common sense is something you will never learn,” the Doctor permitted himself to respond. ~ Henry James
  •  It is so much easier to preach than to practise. ~ Anthony Trollope
  • How is one to have an opinion if one does not get it by looking at the things which happen around us?  ~ Anthony Trollope
  • Our sheep have to put up with our spiritual doses whether they like them or not.  ~ Anthony Trollope
  • “You haven’t got another cup of tea, have you?” “Oh, uncle! you have had five.” “No, my dear! not five; only four — only four, I assure you; I have been very particular to count. I had one while I was—” “Five uncle; indeed and indeed.” “Well, then, as I hate the prejudice which attaches luck to an odd number, I’ll have a sixth to show that I am not superstitious.”  ~ Anthony Trollope
  • When one is impatient, five minutes is as the duration of all time, and a quarter of an hour is eternity.  ~ Anthony Trollope
  • We strain at our gnats with a vengeance, but we swallow our camels with ease. ~ Anthony Trollope
  • Wounds sometimes must be opened in order that they may be healed.  ~ Anthony Trollope
  • Love can only be paid in its own coin: it knows of no other legal tender.   ~ Anthony Trollope
Who would you recommend? Anyone you would NOT recommend?

I'm reading a lot of Henry James and Anthony Trollope this year!

Favorite book you've read so far...

The Karamazov Brothers. Fyodor Dostoevsky. Translated by Ignat Avsey. 1880/2008. 1054 pages. [Source: Library] 

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Angela said...

I've never participated in a reading challenge before, but it sounds fun!

I have Washington Square buried somewhere in my to-read stacks, but I have so many books in my to-read stacks that I can't seem to find it!

Good luck with completing the challenge.

Paula Vince said...

Wow, I have been reading quite a few Victorian novels this year, and just checked your check list to see where they'll fit.
The Pickwick Papers is my first (but not only) Charles Dickens choice.
The Moonstone for Wilkie Collins.
Around the World in 80 Days for a book with a number in the title.
Shirley for a book with a name as the title.
Tom's Midnight Garden might fit a book published between 1902 and 1999 but set in the Victorian era. That was a bonus. My review is coming soon.
I've also read The Hound of the Baskervilles, which might not be quite Victorian, since it was nudging into Edwardian times when published I think.
I'm currently reading Great Expectations, which is fantastic.
And I've got Brothers Karamazov as my book translated into English. That could've also been the one that really intimidated me, but I agree with you, it was excellent, and among my favourites :)
We're only halfway through the year, so not done yet either :)

Becky said...

Angela, you'd be welcome to join in any time :)

Paula, great list of books!