Wednesday, March 15, 2017

That's Me Loving You

That's Me Loving You. Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Illustrated by Teagan White. 2016. [December] 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Wherever you are, wherever you go, Always remember and always know...That shimmering star? That's me winking at you. That drifting cloud? That's me thinking of you. That inviting ocean? That's me waving at you.

Premise/plot: This book is openly and unashamedly sentimental. But don't discount it because it's about LOVE. A parent loving their child fiercely. Picture books about love are everywhere. That's true enough. But this one has its quirky humor too: "That persistent mosquito? That's me bugging you."

My thoughts: I picked this one up at the library a day or two after Rosenthal died of ovarian cancer. I think reading the book in light of this fact makes it poignant and ultimately beautiful. Yes, every parent loves their child and wants to comfort their child. Yes, this book could be read by parents to children struggling with separation anxiety. But it could have a much deeper meaning, a life-long meaning, as well. This book was dedicated--is dedicated--to her three children. And it's a wonderful goodbye-and-hello.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: