Thursday, March 31, 2016

A Big Surprise for Little Card

A Big Surprise for Little Card. Charise Mericle Harper. Illustrated by Anna Raff. 2016. Candlewick. 40 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Little Card lived in a building with all of his card friends. Each card had a special job.

Premise/plot: Each card has a purpose, a unique purpose. Little Card receives a letter in the mail marked "L.C." he begins training as a birthday card. But it seems there was a mix-up. Long Card was meant to receive that training, and he was meant to be a LIBRARY card. How is the library like a birthday? Little Card sees some similarities. Little Card isn't just "a" library card, he is Alex's library card. Readers learn along with Alex and Little Card about the library.

My thoughts: It has a unique premise, in my opinion. I'm not sure I absolutely needed to see a talking library card in order to appreciate the library. But it could always be worse. I do LOVE the library. And I do love books. And this picture book celebrates reading and the library. So there is that!

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 6 out of 10

© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: