Monday, June 15, 2015

Nobody's Perfect (2015)

Nobody's Perfect. David Elliott. Illustrated by Sam Zuppardi. 2015. Candlewick Press. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: "Nobody's perfect." That's what everybody says. And I guess they're right. Like Gigi. She's my sister. She's not perfect. She's loud! Really loud!

Premise/plot: While in a time-out, a young boy reflects on his life realizing that "everybody" is right after all: nobody's perfect. Readers learn about his life: his family, his friends, the good times and bad. It's a simple book, in a way. Funny and sweet too. I think the story is easy to relate to for many.

My thoughts: Did I really, really like this one? Or did I really, really love it?! That is the question. Only time can say for sure. But I definitely felt an emotional connection with this one! I think the page that won me over completely was this one, "I'm not perfect either. This is my room before I clean it." Turn the page, "This is my room after I clean it." The illustrations show that AFTER he TRIES to clean it, it is EVEN messier. And notice: HE'S NOW ON THE BED READING A BOOK. How could I not love this kid?! And that isn't the only clue that this kid loves to read! Overall, I would definitely recommend this one!!!

I loved the text. The illustrations? Well, some pages I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED. And other pages, I merely "liked" them.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: