Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Sweetest Spell (YA)

The Sweetest Spell. Suzanne Selfors. 2012. Walker & Company. 416 pages.

I was in the perfect mood for Suzanne Selfors' The Sweetest Spell. I loved the heroine, Emmeline Thistle. I enjoyed reading about her community, especially the husband market where the young women bid on the single men of the community. Since she was born with a deformed foot, and since the whole community distrusts her, she's not one of the young women joining in, at least not yet--she's just sixteen or seventeen. But the novel opens with a big disruption: soldiers arriving on that day to take away the men to fight the king's war. Days later, major flooding proves even more devastating to the community. Emmeline Thistle finds herself truly alone with nowhere to go, but as long as there are cows nearby, Emmeline will never be friendless.

I enjoyed this one so very much! I loved Emmeline. I loved Owen Oak, the love interest, who discovers her after the flood. I enjoyed so many characters--major and minor. And I really loved spending time in the world Selfor's created. I loved the storytelling, the adventure, the romance, the characters, the writing.


Read The Sweetest Spell
  • If you enjoy fantasy with a historical feel
  • If you enjoy fantasy with some romance
  • If you are looking for some charm in your fantasy (I found it very delightful!)
  • If you like reading about chocolate

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Kailana said...

I might have to check this one out...

Jill said...

I hadn't heard of this one. Sounds good!