Friday, December 03, 2010

What I'd Recommend for Chris


Last Sunday--in the comments--Chris invited me to take part in this newish challenge where different bloggers exchange recommendations.  Here are the five books I'd recommend for him.

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (my review)

I loved, loved, loved this one. I found it intense, emotional, and impossible to put down. Willis blends mystery, science fiction, and historical fiction--and blends them well!The good news? If he enjoys it, maybe he'll be "inspired" to pick up To Say Nothing of the Dog!

Miss Hargreaves by Frank Baker (my review)

This is one of my favorite reads of the year. It is deliciously quirky. Playful yet dark.Very Twilight Zone.

The Boneshaker by Kate Milford (my review)

It's one of those books where the moment you finish it, you want to start it all over again. You don't want it to be over. You want to keep experiencing it. There's just something about this fantasy that I think he will love. (Maybe because it has a traveling carnival?)

A Tangled Web by L.M. Montgomery (my review)

What can I say about this one? It is one of my favorite stand-alone Montgomery novels. I love many of her novels, including her Anne series and her Emily series, but this one is special to me.

The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (my review)

I really LOVED this series by Jonathan Stroud. It's a great fantasy. And I hope that Chris will get hooked :)

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

chrisa511 said...

OMG Becky I love you!!!! I'm so in :D I'm going to put a list together for you later tonight :D Only you've read EVERYTHING LOL...I'm going to try to find some stuff you haven't...I'm so excited about reading all of these!!!!

Becky said...

I haven't read *everything.* I didn't even read my first mystery until this summer--Josephine Tey, have you read her?

Laura H said...

Glad you included Miss Hargreaves on your list. I just got it in from the library and couldnt remember which book blog recommended it.

Bookfool said...

I loved The Doomsday Book and Miss Hargreaves has been on my wish list since I read about it in April. Sadly, I *almost* got a copy from PaperbackSwap and then the owner said, "I can't part with it, sorry! Swappers remorse!" Argh. I know my library will never get it and now I'm really wishing I'd just grabbed a bunch of books from that series while I was in England. I saw them but passed them up. *headdesk*

alisonwonderland said...

The Doomsday Book is a great choice!