Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #12


Happy Sunday! It's been a busy week for me. With a couple of challenges starting. Katrina's Spring Reading Thing 2010 and Carl's Once Upon A Time.

Plus I announced a challenge that I'm hosting. The It's The End of the World challenge. In previous years, I've had people excited to join up. But this year, so far, nothing. Perhaps just bad timing?! I can understand that. I mean, Carl's challenge is one of the most exciting things about spring. (It sure doesn't feel like spring here.) Or maybe people are burned out on challenges in general? I don't know. I'll keep reading apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction anyhow. I'd intended to host the It's The End of the World challenge again. Unlike some of the other challenges I host, this is one that actually still excites me. But both this year and last year's start dates have been prompted by me reading Carrie Ryan!

Expect a library loot post later in the day! I went to the library with good intentions this week. I wanted to keep to a strict six books only policy. You'll have to see if I stuck with that. What do you think? Do you think I was bad?

I've had great fun this week participating in the Spring Break Reading Challenge. I thought it was fun to have daily activities. And I think I participated in all but two. Today is the last day, by the way. So thank you, Karin for hosting such a great challenge!

I did read a great book this week that I wanted to call special attention to. I just love, love, loved The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood. I think this book deserves to be read (and adored!). So if you're looking for a very fun, very clever book with a great narrator...consider giving this one a try!

Have you read such a book lately? One that you love, love, love and want to recommend to everyone?! I'd love to hear from you! I'm always looking for suggestions.

What I've Reviewed This Week:

Olive's Ocean. Kevin Henkes. 2003. HarperCollins. 224 pages.
After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick. 2010. February 2010. Scholastic. 272 pages.
The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Mysterious Howling. Maryrose Wood. 2010. February 2010. HarperCollins. 267 pages.
Tangled. Carolyn Mackler. 2009. [December 2009]. 308 pages.
The Dead-Tossed Waves. Carrie Ryan. 2010. [March 2010] Random House. 416 pages.
Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette by Carolyn Meyer. 2010. [April 2010] Harcourt. 420 pages.
Saving Maddie. Varian Johnson. 2010. March 2010. Random House. 240 pages.
Emily's Fortune by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. 2010. [June 2010] Random House. 160 pages.
Clementine, Friend of the Week. Sara Pennypacker. Illustrations by Marla Frazee. 2010. July 2010. Hyperion. 176 pages.
Mermaid Queen. Shana Corey. Illustrated by Edwin Fotheringham. 2009. [April 2009]. Scholastic. 48 pages.
Leprechauns and Irish Folklore. Mary Pope Osborne and Natalie Pope Boyce. 2010. Random House. 128 pages.
Leprechaun in Late Winter. Mary Pope Osborne. 2010. Random House. 128 pages.
Too Much Kissing: And Other Silly Dilly Songs About Parents. Written by Alan Katz. Illustrated by David Catrow. 2009. [December 2009] Simon & Schuster. 30 pages.
Mercy Watson to the Rescue. Kate DiCamillo. 2005. Candlewick Press. 80 pages.
Mercy Watson Goes For A Ride. Kate DiCamillo. Illustrated by Chris Van Dusen. 2006. Candlewick Press. 80 pages.
Mercy Watson Fights Crime. Kate DiCamillo. Illustrated by Chris Van Dusen. 2006. Candlewick. 80 pages.
Mercy Watson Princess in Disguise. Kate DiCamillo. 2007. Illustrated by Chris Van Dusen. 73 pages.
Mercy Watson Something Wonky This Way Comes. Kate DiCamillo. Illustrated by Chris Van Dusen. 2009. Candlewick Press. 96 pages.
Bedtime Bunny. Sandra Magsamen. 2009. [January 2009] Little Brown. 20 pages.
Young Zeus By G. Brian Karas. 2010. February 2010. Scholastic. 48 pages.
I Love My Little Storybook. By Anita Jeram. 2010. February 2010. Candlewick Press. 32 pages.
The Jesus Storybook Bible: Deluxe Edition. Sally Lloyd-Jones. 2009. Zonderkidz. 352 pages.
Here Burns My Candle. Liz Curtis Higgs. 2010. March 2010. WaterBrook Multnomah. 480 pages.
Ruth: Under the Wings of God. John Piper. 2010. February 2010. Crossway Publishers. 96 pages.

What I'm Currently Reading:


Perfect Chemistry. Simone Elkeles. 2008. [December 2008] Walker & Company (Bloomsbury). 368 pages.


Catching Fire. Suzanne Collins. 2009. [September 2009] Scholastic. 400 pages.


Falling In. Frances O'Roark Dowell. 2010. [March 2010] Simon & Schuster. 245 pages.


When Mike Kissed Emma. Christine Marciniak. 2009. [July 2009] Wild Rose Press. 176 pages.


Heart of Stone. Jill Marie Landis. 2010. [February 2010] Zondervan. 320 pages.

What I Hope To Begin/Finish Soon:


One Crazy Summer. Rita Williams-Garcia. 2010. [January 2010] HarperCollins. 218 pages.



Scarlett Fever. Maureen Johnson. 2010. February 2010. Scholastic. 352 pages.



Venetia. Georgette Heyer. 1958/2009. Harlequin. 368 pages.

Challenges Joined This Week:

Spring Reading Thing
Once Upon A Time IV
It's the End of the World III
YA Romance

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Mel u said...

My daughter now 11 got her first Mercy Watson book about 3 years ago and now has all of them-when she got her first one I read it aloud with her-the next day about 5 of her same age friends came for them all to read it aloud together-each reading a page-for some reason the kids in that age bracket love the Mary Watson series-they are well written and super well illustrated-glad to see you reviewed them

beastmomma said...

I am so impressed with the speed with which you read and post reviews. I am pretty slow with both reading and reviewing. I would join your challenge, but I have too many on my plate right now. I hope that it goes well and you get some participants.
Here is my Sunday Salon:
http://beastmomma.squarespace.com/from-shelf-to-hand/2010/3/20/the-sunday-salon-54-cut-for-stone-and-their-eyes-were-watchi.html

Debi said...

I will definitely be joining your It's the End of the World challenge, Becky! I promise--it's one of my favorites, and I wouldn't miss it. I'm just very behind schedule these days. *sigh*