Sunday, November 08, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #45

Happy Sunday everyone! I've watched two movies this week: The Woman in White (1948) and You For Me (1952). And endless hours of figure skating. I love, love, love watching skating. I've done some reading--some for fun and some for Cybils.

I've been thinking about challenges for 2010. I've posted about a few of the challenges I'm hosting. (Celebrate the Author, Young Readers, A to Z, 18th and 19th Century Women Writers, etc.) But I've also been seeking out other challenges. I was happy to see the announcement for the TBR 2010 challenge. Though the TBR challenge has always been love/hate with me. I always get so very excited signing up for it. Creating a list. Knowing that it is a list with little wiggle room. 12 Books, 12 Alternates. That's it. But both years I've participated I've ended up fighting with myself. I put that on the list??? Why??? What was I even thinking??? I look at my list four or five months later and it's like a stranger wrote it. So how can I prevent this happening again? I *really* do want to join in again.

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

Devil's Paintbox. Victoria McKernan. 2009. Random House. 360 pages.
Willoughby's Return. Jane Odiwe. 2009. Sourcebooks. 352 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

My Elephant. Petr Horacek. 2009. Candlewick Press.
The Legend of Ninja Cowboy Bear. David Bruins and Hilary Leung. 2009. Kids Can Press.
Under the Star: A Christmas Counting Story. Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Vlasta van Kampen. Key Porter Kids.
The Seeing Stick. Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Daniela Jaglenka Terrazzini. Running Press.
Pumpkin Baby by Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Susan Mitchell. Key Porter Kids.
The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow. Andy Griffiths. Illustrated by Terry Denton. 2009. Feiwel and Friends. 124 pages. (Early Reader)
Ruby Flips for Attention. (Ruby and the Booker Boys). 2009. Derrick Barnes. Scholastic. 130 pages.

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

Dessert First by Hallie Durand. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 154 pages.
Road to Tater Hill. Edith M. Hemingway. 2009. Random House. 214 pages.
Al Capone Shines My Shoes. Gennifer Choldenko. 2009. Penguin. 274 pages.
The Shadow Dragons. James A. Owen. 2009. 417 pages.
No Girls Allowed (Dogs Okay) by Trudi Trueit. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 118 pages.
The Funeral Director's Son by Coleen Murtagh Paratore. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 135 pages.
Dog Whisperer: The Rescue by Nicholas Edwards. 2009. SquareFish. 216 pages.

What I've read and really, really need to review:

The Swiss Courier. Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey. 2009. Revell. 324 pages.
Touched by a Vampire: Discovering the Hidden Messages in the Twilight Saga by Beth Felker Jones. 2009. Multnomah. 180 pages.
Thirsty. Tracey Bateman. 2009. Waterbrook Press. 376 pages.


What I'm currently reading:

Mary Barton. Elizabeth Gaskell. 487 pages.
Man and Wife. Wilkie Collins.

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

The Silver Blade by Sally Gardner
The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Monk by Matthew Lewis

What I've abandoned:

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I just started following you!

Trisha said...

This coming year will be my first attempt at the TBR challenge, and I've already modified, re-modified, and looked with worry at my list of 24 books. Let me know if you come up with any brilliant ideas for how to write that perfect list!