Sunday, January 04, 2009

The Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #1

What I read in a previous week but reviewed this week:

In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer. By Irene Gut Opdyke. 1999. 276. (Adult/Memoir/WW2/Holocaust)
Love That Dog by Sharon Creech. 2001. 86. (J/YA Poetry/Verse Novel)
Hate that Cat by Sharon Creech. 2008. 153. (J/YA Poetry/Verse Novel)

What I read this past week that I've reviewed:

What is God Like by Beverly Lewis. 2008. (Picture Book/Christian/Childrens)
Toddler Bible by Bethan James and Yorgus Sgouros. 2008. (Board Book/Christian/Childrens)
In the Company of Secrets by Judith Miller. 2007. 382. (Adult/Christian Fiction/Romance)
Need by Carrie Jones (Pub. Dec. 2008) 320. (YA Fantasy/YA Romance)

What I read this past week but I haven't reviewed yet:

Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith (Pub. Jan. 2009) 288. (YA Historical)
Just One Wish by Janette Rallison. (Pub March 2009) 272. (YA Realistic Fiction/YA Romance)
The Farwalker's Quest by Joni Sensel (Pub April 2009) 400 (J/YA Fantasy J/YA Science Fiction (Dystopia)
Whispers Along the Rail by Judith Miller. 2007. (Adult/Christian Fiction/Romance/Historical)
Jonathan Edwards for Armchair Theologians. by James P. Byrd. 2008. 200. (Adult/Christian Nonfiction/Biography/Theology)

What I'm currently reading

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
Emma by Jane Austen
Starry Rift: An Original Science Fiction Anthology. Edited by Jonathan Strahan. To read what I think so far--semi-reviews of 10/16 stories--read HERE.

What excited me the most this week--as far as reading goes...

I just *loved* Scott Westerfeld's contribution in The Starry Rift. It's called "Ass-Hat Magic Spider." And it is a MUST read in my opinion. Definitely recommended that participants in Carl's Sci-Fi Experience non-challenge and participants in my 42 challenge seek this one out! (Read it at the bookstore if you must!)

The Farwalker's Quest by Joni Sensel kept me up until the wee hours. I was fighting back sleep the last hour, but I just couldn't stand to put it down and go to bed without knowing what happened. It was unthinkable to stop halfway. So I pushed on. I don't know if I loved it more than the Humming of Numbers--which I read in November I think--but I certainly loved it. Those two books have made Joni Sensel a favorite of mine.

Challenges I probably shouldn't have joined this week, but just couldn't resist...bad, bad, Becky!

Buy & Read Challenge
Serial Readers Challenge
First in a Series 2009
Ignite Your Faith
Sci-Fi Experience
Historical Fiction Reading Challenge


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

LOL! I recently joined a bunch of challenges that I probably shouldn't have. Oh well, it will still be fun to try :)

Laura H said...

Sometimes I think its cruel and unusual punishment for me that you get to read these books before they are published. I love The Humming of Numbers too but am I going to remember to look out for Sensel's new book?? Probably not.

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky - I gave you an award!

http://readingtoolate.net/?p=1406