Monday, September 08, 2008

The Devouring


Holt, Simon. 2008. The Devouring: Sorry Night.

"Stop, Reggie!" Henry barked from beneath his quilt. "Don't read anymore!" Regina Halloway shut the book. (5)

Regina--called Reggie by most of her friends and family--loves to read horror. Loves it. So much so that she works at a used bookstore devoted to the genre. But perhaps Reggie should have been a bit more thoughtful as to what she was reading her younger--and much more gullible--brother, Henry. Then again, Regina hadn't any idea that her latest book, an old journal she found while unpacking boxes for the store, was nonfiction. That the Vours were real.

When Dark creeps in and eats the light, Bury your fears on Sorry Night. For in the winter's blackest hours Comes the feasting of the Vours. No one can see it, the life they stole, Your body's here but not your soul...(4)

See. Not the stuff for bedtime stories for your younger brother, right? Maybe this would have turned out just fine...if only...if only she wasn't reading it the night before "Sorry Night" the Winter Solstice, December 22nd. If only her brother hadn't been so very frightened at the thought that the Vours were real and coming for him...if only Reggie hadn't left him alone the next night to go off in pursuit of her own chills and thrills...

Then again, if she had, The Devouring wouldn't be such a chilling book.

For more about The Devouring, read my weekly geeks post where Nymeth interviewed me about the book.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you review this short book that I wrote

http://thebookonlife.blogspot.com/

Its totally free, so you can pass it on to your friends.

Anonymous said...

I've had chills down my spine from books before but never from a book REVIEW. Really well written, Becky. Now what do I do with this adrenaline?

Anonymous said...

I want to read it because it seems so intriguing but then I don't want to read it 'cause it sounds so damn creepy !

Anonymous said...

Ive read this book its really good.

Anonymous said...

These Books Were Great! I Read The Entire Trilogy In A Week!

Anonymous said...

I love these books they are my most favourite series EVER!!! I read the entire trilogy in three days