Friday, June 20, 2008

Midsummer Night's Dream Challenge Completed




A Midsummer Night's Challenge
host: A Chain of Letters
dates: June 1, 2008 - June 25th, 2008
books required: 2--one by Shakespeare

I read the original William Shakespeare play A Midsummer Night's Dream. You can read my full review here. And I read the Manga Shakespeare graphic novel A Midsummer Night's Dream. You can read my full review here. (I've also seen the 1999 movie.)

This was not my first introduction to Midsummer Night's Dream. As an English major as an undergraduate, I studied the play under the very wise and very awesome Dr. Phyllis Bridges. When I was studying for my master's degree (my first master's not my second) I had the privilege to study Shakespeare again, this time was also with Dr. Bridges. So I've got a certain familiarity with the play even though I hadn't read it since 2001.

I love this play. I do. I won't say that it's my favorite favorite comedy. That would be Much Ado About Nothing. But I have an extreme fondness for this one. I love Puck. I love Oberon. I love Theseus.  And even though I think Demetrius is in fact  a "spotted and inconstant  man" I can't help liking him a little bit. All the characters are fun and likable and just a joy to know.

As for comparing the graphic novel to the original, I thought it was done rather faithfully. As faithfully as can be expected anyway. The pictures may take certain liberties with the setting, with the costumes, with the overall design. But the flavor of the play--the language--is true and faithful. It is beautifully adapted.

I didn't find either difficult to follow. Maybe it's my background, maybe not. Maybe it's the fact that there's a film version. But I found the story accessible. I didn't stumble over the language. I found it to be a great story worth reading.


Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: