Thursday, May 01, 2008

April Firsts


These are just a handful of my favorite first opening lines during the month of April.

"I was sixteen years old the day I was lost in the forest, sixteen the day I met my death."

"Vitamins had ruined my life. Not that there was much left to ruin, but still."

"
There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart's Desire. And while that is, as beginnings go, not entirely novel (for every tale about every young man there ever was or will be could start in a similar manner) there was much about this young man and what happened to him that was unusual, although even he never knew the whole of it."

"Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, "and what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversations?"

"What do you know about yourself? What are your stories? The ones you tell yourself, and the ones told by others. All of us begin somewhere. Though I suppose the truth is that we begin more than once; we begin many times. Over and over, we start our own tales, compose our own stories, whether our lives are short or long. Until at last all our beginnings come down to just one end, and the tale of who we are is done."

Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Marie said...

I really enjoy your blog--your reviews are great and you must read nonstop to be able to do as many as you do. I've been reading them for awhile. Very impressive!

Alix said...

I love the first one what an opening line!