Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Dramarama


Lockhart, E. 2007. Dramarama.

I really don't have much to say about Dramarama. It was good. I'm not saying it wasn't. But it's not really something I got excited about. I think this is the perfect book for those interested in performance arts--singing, acting, dancing, etc. And even if you're not, it still has plenty to offer along typical lines. It is the story of a girl who feels alone, isolated, unsure of who she is and what she wants. She wants to be famous. She wants to be brilliant. She wants to razzle dazzle. But she's just not sure she has what it takes. Many YA titles tackle this issue of esteem and identity. It's also a story about a girl and a guy--a gay guy--her best friend. Their friendship is put to the test time and time again through this drama-camp summer because of her insecurities, jealousies, and obnoxious attitudes. She has a habit of talking-back to her teachers and coaches, and a way of talking behind people's backs about her classmates and roommates. She also makes a habit of making everything about her. All the time. So when things don't go her way, you'll hear about it. Nonstop. Again many YA titles deal with issues of friendship and self-centeredness. And many of these offer whiny heroines. So nothing new there. Did I like the narrator? Sometimes. But mostly I was indifferent. I didn't love her. I didn't hate her. Her friends? Well, nobody was perfect. It was realistic. Our heroine was neither all-victim, or all-abuser. Everyone had a bit of attitude. Everyone talked bad about one another. Everyone was shallow in some circumstances. I think this title will mean more to readers if they have an interest in this subject. If not, then it may seem all too typical rather than extraordinary. Just like you could take these same situations and make it about a girl who loves sports, or a girl who loves to shop and watch Sex in the City.

1 comment:

Trish said...

Hi Becky! I stopped by to let you know you won a copy of One Step Over the Border in my book giveaway! Please contact me by email so I can get your info and send the book to you. :)

Blessings,
Trish