Sunday, September 09, 2007

Triple-8 Challenge and other 2008 Challenges

3M is hosting a year-long challenge called Triple-8-Challenge.

1. Challenge runs from January 1 through December 31, 2008.

2. Choose 8 categories of your own that you would like to read 8 books EACH in.

3. You will be allowed 8 overlaps, for a total of 56 unique book titles.

4. You may overlap these 56 titles with any other challenge.

5. You may change your list or your categories at any time.

I haven't decided my books yet, but I have picked my 8 categories:

Becky's Triple-8-Categories

8 Books by First-Time Novelists [Maybe the class of 2k8 will want to get in touch!]
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
8 (New-to-me) Children's Classics
1. Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
2. Hitty, Her First Hundred Years by Rachel Field
3. Miss Hickory by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey
4. Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski
5. Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
6. The Secret Garden by Frances H. Burnett
7. A Little Princess by Frances H. Burnett
8. The High King by Lloyd Alexander
Alternates: 1. Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson 2. From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg 3. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh 4. Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin 5. Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield 6. What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge 7. The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss 8. The Borrowers by Mary Norton 9) Doctor Doolittle by Hugh Lofting 10) The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes

8 Science Fiction or Fantasy Novels
1. The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
2. Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
4. Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
5. Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
6. Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
7. The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander
8. The Castle of Llyr by Lloyd Alexander

Alternates: Taran Wanderer by Lloyd Alexander, Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis, The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.
8 Recommended Reads (Suggestions from Friends and Family)
1. Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss (Mom, Julie)
2. Daddy Longlegs by Jean Webster (Mom, Julie)
3. Dear Enemy by Jean Webster (Mom, Julie????)
4. A Lantern In Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich (Mom)
5. What Katy Did by Susan Coolidge (Julie)
6. Desiree by Anne Marie Selinko (Betty)
7. The House In Between by Howard Spring (Betty)
8. The Hollow Kingdom by Clare Dunkle (Erin)

Alternates: Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (Renay),
8 Nonfiction [Will coordinate well with the In Their Shoes Challenge]
1. The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank
2. I Have Lived A Thousand Years by Livia Bitton-Jackson
3. The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender
4. In My Hands: Memories of A Holocaust Rescuer
5. Alicia My Story: Alicia Appleman-Jurman
6. Night by Elie Wiesel
7. No Pretty Pictures by Anita Lobel
8. To Life by Ruth Minsky Sender
8 First-in-A-Series [To coordinate with the 1rst In A Series Challenge]
1. Beezus and Ramona by Beverly Cleary
2. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
3. Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
4. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
5. Bad Beginning, Lemony Snicket
6. The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander
7. At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon
8. Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

Alternates: 1) The Wind Singer by William Nicholson, 2) At home in Mitford by Jan Karon 3) Magic or Madness by Justine Larbalestier
8 by Beverly Cleary
1. Beezus and Ramona
2. Ramona the Pest
3. Ramona the Brave
4. Ramona and her Father
5. Ramona and her Mother
6. Ramona Quimby Age 8
7. Ramona Forever
8. Ramona's World
8 Childhood Favorites
1. The World of Pooh by A.A. Milne (Both Winnie the Pooh and House at Pooh Corner)
2. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (May also read Through the Looking Glass. We'll have to see how my time goes.)
3. Christy by Catherine Marshall
4. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
5. On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder
6. By The Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder
7. Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
8. Little Town on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Alternates: Mandy by Julie Edwards, These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Other challenges I'm planning on joining--and having overlapping titles with--are the Series Challenge, Themed Reading Challenge 2008, and Carl is going to be having a Science Fiction related Challenge and perhaps a Once Upon A Time II Challenge.

6 comments:

Kailana said...

This is a cool challenge. I don't think I could do it, because I suck at lists, but I think I am going to join your Card challenge. I just have to browse for some options that are already on my tbr pile. :)

Becky said...

You can probably find a few that will work. I know I have some that will work for both R.I.P and the Cardathon. And the Series challenge. It's weird how things fall into place sometimes.

Becky said...

Oh, and my favorite thing about 3M's challenge, what made me say, yes, was #5:

5. You may change your list or your categories at any time.

That is my kind of challenge!

Dewey said...

I'm joining this, too! I have my categories decided, but no book list yet, and I may just want to add books to the list as I think of them, when it's closer to January.

Alyssa F said...

Very cool challenge, I might have to get in on this one. Do you know if the class of 2k8 is out yet? I haven't been able to find it... :-(

Becky said...

Alyssa,

I haven't found an official site yet, however, I have found references here and there on the 2k7 site that the other is going to happen. Maybe closer to the new year, things will be announced. I hope so. I certainly enjoyed following 2k7 through the year. I've read many of their books and reviewed them here.