Friday, August 17, 2007

This shouldn't make me so happy but...

Okay, I've been a little sad the last week that I haven't stumbled across any memes. So I was very very happy to see a new one pop up on A Hidden Side of A Leaf called Questions for Book Bloggers.

What are you reading right now? I'm reading an ARC of THE DECLARATION by Gemma Malley (October 2007), Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne, and The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells.

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that? No. I have some inklings, but nothing firm. I could keep going in SEVEN SCIENCE FICTION NOVELS OF H.G. WELLS or I could choose one of the hundreds of books in my stacks. I'll finish THE DECLARATION first, and then choose another. The other two are secondary reads at the moment. Or should I call them supplemental reads?

What's the worst thing you were ever forced to read? Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy. That one is easy to answer. For while I hated many, that one is at the top of the list.

What's the one book you always recommend to just about anyone? This one changes with my mood. But I'd have to go with THE LIGHTNING THIEF by Rick Riordan. I recommend hundreds of books....but the key to that question--the thing that makes it a trick question--is the fact that it says anyone. A lot of my favorites I would recommend to certain people but not others. But I think Lightning Thief has appeal for practically anyone and everyone.

Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don't they? No. Not my public library. Even though I go on a weekly basis, I've never even had them attempt to make small talk or give eye contact for that matter. I don't think they read the name on the card as they check it out. And they've never shown any traces of recognizing me after fifty something visits. But at my college library....there I was almost infamous. In the children's library, she knew me by name (and I knew hers) and she never asked for my card at all.

Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don't like it at all? I'm sure there are many. I've been known to read nonfiction books that other people find unappealing...not that they've given them a try...and I'm sure there are fiction titles as well. I find it is usually with books that have depressing-sounding plots.

Do you read books while you eat? While you bathe? While you watch movies or TV? While you listen to music? While you’re on the computer? No. Not typically. I admit I might have nibbled on a sleeve of Saltine crackers while reading the Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was much younger. But typically, food and books don't mix in my opinion. Mom on the other two, eats with one hand, and holds a book in the other. No. I don't read in the tub. I shower. And I don't think there is a way to read a book while showering! No and yes. I don't typically watch movies and read books at the same time. I'll clarify. If I stick a dvd in, my focus is going to be on the movie. If I wanted to read, I wouldn't have started a movie. However, if I'm watching a movie on tv, then I might read during the commercials or doing the movie usually to where I'll lose interest in the movie or the book. I can't sustain interest in both for long periods of time. I watch soap operas all the time while I'm reading. I typically let it play. And when it sounds like its getting to a good part, then I'll look up. Usually with soap operas, I'll care about a handful of characters but have no interest in half the cast so I'll be able to zone out for some parts of the show completely. As far as music goes, it depends on my mood. I've been known to listen to some pretty lyric-heavy music. Sometimes it's easy to excuse classical or easy listening music, but I've been known to read to rock. Hence why I might listen to the Good Charlotte album twenty times in a weekend. (Or Hoobastank for that matter). But there are some days--many days--where I just read in the quiet. Computers and books mix really well if you Sim on a slow computer. I have a 2002 eMac. I play Sims--latest addition I have is Superstar. I have about a thirteen or fifteen minute wait while it loads. And if my Sims go downtown or to studio town or wherever, it typically takes five or six minutes to go to that screen. So I can read a chapter or two at least in the midst of a game.

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits? Yes and no. I was teased about a lot of stuff. Well ostracized is more like it.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down? Extras by Scott Westerfeld.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to steal this from you Becky!! I've been looking for a good meme myself! :-)

Dewey said...

Wow, I thought my Sims game was slow changing neighborhoods, but five or six minutes? You could even take a bathroom break!

Anonymous said...

Heh, I can so relate on the teasing question. Liking books and being halfway smart are enough to cause any kid problems, eh?

Susan said...

Oh, I'm going to steal this meme for my blog! So fun, and so interesting to hear about other people's reading habits.

Amat Libris said...

I'm going to borrow this idea too! The answer to the teasing question is very me, unfortunately.