Monday, August 20, 2007

New Challenge for Fall


In the so-isn't-me area of challenges, Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings is hosting the RIP II challenge. (Readers Imbibing Peril)

R.I.P. II is a September 1st through October 31st celebration of all tales gothic, eerie, creepy, and dark. Tales that one reads in the dark of night, experiencing delicious shivers of terror and suspense at each creak of the floorboards or each gust of wind. As in previous challenges the definition for what type of books fit into this category will be very broad. I would venture to say that there is something for everyone that could count as a R.I.P. book.

Peril the First:

Read Four books of any length, from any subgenre of scary stories that you choose.

Peril the Second (Otherwise known as the Obese Book Peril):

As you may know, some books are scary not just because of their subject matter but because of their size. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke is 737 pages of small type, for example, and Gordon Dahlquist’s Glass Books of the Dream Eaters is 637 pages long with type so miniscule it makes Strange’s look like large print!

For this peril simply read two weighty tomes during the challenge period.

Peril the Third:

If you think you have it in you, this third choice of perils is the Scary Sandwich Peril…choose two large books like those described in Peril the Second and read a smaller qualifying tale in between.

Peril the Fourth (Otherwise known as Just a Bit of Peril):

Some of you wonderful readers, or would-be readers, may have a tendency to shy away from this genre, thinking it is just not your cup of poisoned tea. However, it wouldn’t be a challenge if I wasn’t challenging you.

This peril is for those of you who want to take a chance. Simply choose one book that you feel meets the criteria for Readers Imbibing Peril II and, well, imbibe it!

Additional Perils:

For those of you who have never done so, or want those who want to do so again, choose one or more of the following books to read after you have completed your other peril of choice:

1.Dracula by Bram Stoker 2. A collection of tales by Edgar Allan Poe 3. The Mystery of the Sea by Bram Stoker 4. Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman

For those that are curious, I'm probably doing Peril 4. I plan to read Frankenstein. I plan to read Dracula. I may be adventuresome and seek out one or two more. But I'm only committing to those two at the moment. I may read Blood and Chocolate. The Island of Dr. Moreau I happen to have checked out at the moment. (I have the seven novels-in-one book of H.G. Wells.) May being the key word. I've already read and blogged about Coraline....and Twilight...and New Moon...and Eclipse...and Blue Bloods....and Masquerade....and a few others that would qualify.

As Carl pointed out in his post, there are some great YA choices...

<>Blue Bloods and Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz (book one, book two of a series)
Bloodline and Bloodline: Reckoning by Kate Cary
The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs by Jack Gantos
Devilish by Maureen Johnson
Vampirates by Justin Somper
The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
Tithe and Valiant and Ironside by Holly Black (books one, two, and three of modern faerie tales series)
And perhaps the Jonathan Stroud series (very magical indeed) would count as well. I can't recommend those highly enough! (Amulet of Samurkand, Golem's Eye, Ptolemy's Gate)
NOTE: Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith would certainly be a good choice!
As would some of the fiction by Vivian Van Velde.

Edited 8/22/07: My list is Dracula, Frankenstein, Vampirates: Tide of Terror, City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, and The Island of Dr. Moreau. My alternates include the three Orson Scott Card Books that Chris recommended. They all happen to be checked out of my local library at the moment. But I would imagine that they're bound to reappear on the shelves by the end of the challenge. But by that point, I may have all these others read. We'll just have to see what works out.

15 comments:

chrisa511 said...

Hey, you're an Orson Scott Card fan, so Lost Boys, Treasure Box, or Homebody would fit nicely into this challenge too! All 3 are great ;)

Anonymous said...

Dracula and Frankenstein are both very fine choices for this challenge. I love both books.

Look forward to reading your challenge posts!

Becky said...

Chris,

Thank you :) I have not read Lost Boys or Treasure Box. And I haven't read Homebody recently. (But more importantly, I haven't blogged about it!) So I will have to add at least one of these titles to my list for this challenge!!!

Becky

Debi said...

Don't ask me why, but I've got a feeling that you'll end up finishing Peril the First. Like I said, just a feeling.

Becky said...

Debi:

I have a feeling you might be right! :)

Anonymous said...

Now that's a cool-sounding challenge! Were it not for the flood of review copies that arrived in my mailbox this last week, I'd be tempted.

Susan said...

Oooh...you'll like Lost Boys - it's creepy in a sad sort of way. This challenge sounds interesting - I might have to go for it. Thanks for the info.

Ana S. said...

I've been wanting to read the Jonathan Stroud series for a while. It's very tempting to know that they would fit.

Sharon said...

Someday I will re-read Dracula and Frankenstein. Its been years since I've read either one. I hope you enjoy them!

Court said...

Oooh, Dracula is one of my favourites, and I'll be reading Frankenstein for the challenge too. Can't wait to read your reviews!

Those YA books you've listed look quite good - I've read a few of them (two of the Holly Black ones, the first Jonathan Stroud one), but I'll have to keep my eyes open for the rest.:)

Robin said...

Enjoy Dracula and Frankenstein! That's a great list of young adult books. Thanks.

Framed said...

Dracula is on my list too. I love Orson Scott Card . . . maybe next year. Gee, the reviews aren't even up yet and I'm planning for next year. I'll add my recommendations for the Jonathan Stroud series. I loved them.

Becky said...

Framed:

You might consider joining my challenge--the Cardathon Challenge--you can read more here:

http://cardathon.blogspot.com/

I'll be making an *official* announcement soon on my site.

Becky

rusvw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Frankenstein's on my list as well, which I posted yesterday. What a great challenge! I'm going for the sandwich approach, with IT and Woman in White being my two big pieces of whole wheat bread and Frankie and Black House (King/Straub) in the middle...Should be fun!