Sunday, June 18, 2017

A Good Day for a Hat

A Good Day for A Hat. T. Nat Fuller. Illustrated by Rob Hodgson. 2017. Abrams. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: "Today is a good day for a hat," said Mr. Brown. But when he stepped outside...it was raining. "I have just the hat for that," Mr. Brown said. But when he stepped outside...the rain had turned to snow. "I have just the hat for that," Mr. Brown said. But when he stepped outside...

Premise/plot: Mr. Brown has a LOT of hats. But which hat will he wear today? Every time he opens the door, he's surprised by what he sees. And what he sees leads him to get a different hat to wear! Will he ever make it out the door and be on his way? And where is he going anyway?! It's a fun reveal at the end that is JUST RIGHT for this playful book.

My thoughts: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one. I do. I love the writing. I think the repetition is awesome. I think it would lend itself well to writing activities in the classroom. But I don't just think it's a book that lends itself to writing or drawing prompts. I think it would be a great 'just for fun' read aloud either one-on-one with little ones and their parents or in a group setting at the library or in the classroom. I think there's enough--in the illustrations and the text--that will make rereads just as delightful.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 10 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: