Sunday, May 28, 2017

We're All Wonders

We're All Wonders. R.J. Palacio. 2017. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I know I'm not an ordinary kid. Sure, I do ordinary things. I ride a bike. I eat ice cream. I play ball. I just don't look ordinary. I don't look like other kids.

Premise/plot: We're All Wonders is a companion book to R.J. Palacio's Wonder. It's a picture book prequel, of sorts. It is an affirming book with a couple of strong messages. One of the messages is daring yourself to see differently, to see the WONDER in all of us.
I know I can't change the way I look. But maybe, just maybe...people can change the way they see. If they do, they'll see that I'm a wonder. And they'll see that they're wonders, too.
Look with kindness and you will always find wonder.
My thoughts: Does the world still need anti-bullying messages? I think that's an obvious yes. Words hurt--as do actions. Sometimes the pain is inflicted purposefully, intentionally. Sometimes not. Sometimes we're just clueless about how the little things we say or do effect others. Either way.
This book has an obvious message, a positive message. I think it's very well-written. The illustrations make sense if you're familiar with the cover of the original novel. But if you're not, I'm not sure what you would make of the illustration style.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: