Monday, May 15, 2017

Stack the Cats

Stack the Cats. Susie Ghahremani. 2017. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: One cat sleeps. Two cats play. Three cats? Stack! Four cats teeter. Five cats totter. Six cats prefer two stacks of three cats.

Premise/plot: Love cats? Love math? Looking for a more unique counting concept book? Stack the Cats is certainly unique and it's just as much math-centered as cat-centered. In all there are ten cats.

My thoughts: Did I love it as much as I wanted to love it? No. I really, really love cats. (My latest addiction is watching Kitten Academy's livestream.) It's not so much that I don't love math as math doesn't love me. (But this basic kind of math is just my speed.) I really found some of the spreads to be super-adorable. For example, "Two cats play" is illustrated by two adorable cats playing with yarn. But some of the spreads just didn't thrill me as much. It's hard for me to imagine eight cats stacked on top of each other! So did I like it more than I disliked it? Yes. I think that's fair enough to say.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 3 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: