Monday, March 06, 2017

Dorothea Lange

Dorothea Lange: The Photographer Who Found the Faces of The Depression. Carole Boston Weatherford. Illustrated by Sarah Green. 2017. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Because childhood polio left her with a limp and a rolling gait, Dorothea knew how those less fortunate felt without ever walking in their shoes.

Premise/plot: This is a picture book biography of Dorothea Lange, a photographer perhaps best known for her photograph, "Migrant Mother."

My thoughts: I didn't love this one as much as I'd hoped. I've really enjoyed some of Weatherford's other picture book biographies. And I think this one had potential. Dorothea Lange was certainly an interesting woman who left an impact on the world. I found the author's note, "About Dorothea Lange" to be fascinating. The actual text of the picture book was less so, in my opinion. But I'm glad I read it. Even if I merely "liked" it, it was worth reading. Her photographs were familiar to me; her story was not.

Text: 3.5 out of 5
Illustrations. 3.5 out of 5
Toal: 7 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: