Saturday, May 28, 2016

30 Days of Books: Day 6

I saw this at The Written World--a blog I've been following for most of the time I've been blogging--and I thought I'd join in the fun. I believe the most recent recurrence of this is from Jenni Elyse's blog.

Today's prompt: A book that makes you sad

I'm going to go with Markus Zusak's The Book Thief. It is always an experience. I don't think I can improve upon my last review:

The Book Thief leaves me speechless. If humans leave Death, the narrator, feeling haunted, I can say the same of the narrator. Could a book have a better narrator? I doubt it. There is something so perfectly-perfectly-perfect about The Book Thief. It is beautiful and brilliant; absorbing and compelling. It goes ugly places, to be sure, but the language, the style, just can't be beat. I mean this is a novel that wows and amazes. The characters are so real, so vivid. I mean these characters are very real, very human, very flawed, but the connection is so intense.

I don't love it because it's an easy read. I don't love it because it's a happy, happy novel. I love it because it is beautiful, haunting, ugly, yet hopeful.


© 2016 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Kailana said...

I still have not finished this book... One day it will click!

Unknown said...

Hi there! I was looking at your blog and I really like your reviews! I enjoy your writing style and have actually found some books I want to read now! I just set up a blog of my own today and it is also book reviews. There is not a whole lot on it right now, it is still being set up and I am still working on some reviews. But if you ever had time or wanted to check out that would be greatly appreciated! https://bibliosmiaweb.wordpress.com that is my website. Thank you!!
Amanda Sanchez