Monday, October 12, 2015

Frankie Liked To Sing

Frankie Liked To Sing. John Seven. Illustrated by Jana Christy. 2015. Harry N. Abrams. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Frankie didn't act like other kids. Frankie was always singing. Frankie didn't look like the other kids in Hoboken, New Jersey, either. He was scrawny and his mom liked to dress him up fancy. She wanted Frankie to stand out from the crowd.

I loved, loved, loved this picture book biography of Frank Sinatra by John Seven. I did. I love, love, love the music of Frank Sinatra. I've loved it for years and years. Yet I've never thought to read more about him, and, never imagined that there would ever be a picture book biography written about him. I am so glad Seven chose to write about Sinatra!!! The narrative is very friendly and casual. It includes an author's note, bibliography, and a playlist for young listeners.

I may have gotten a little giddy when I saw the reference to High Society. Though the movie isn't mentioned by name, it is clearly referenced in the illustrations. High Society is one of my most favorite, favorite, favorite movies. Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra together on screen. AND LOUIS ARMSTRONG TOO. How can it get better than High Society?!?!

Last sentence: Frankie's still singing. Can you hear him?

One of the last images you see is the illustrated Frank telling you, "May you live to be one hundred, and may the last voice you hear be mine."

The illustrations are by Jana Christy. They were very well done. I especially liked the cover.

There was just something oh-so-right about this one.
© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Jessica Bevil said...

Oh my goodness! I just happened upon your blog & found this jewel of a book. I did not know that this book existed!! I am a HUGE Sinatra fan. I'm definitely checking into getting this once I'm done with this comment!
Also, Awesome Book Blog!!! <3