Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Year With Jane: Lizzy Bennet's Diary (2014)

Lizzy Bennet's Diary. Marcia Williams. 2014. Candlewick. 112 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I was excited to read Lizzy Bennet's Diary by Marcia Williams. This diary or scrapbook is inspired by Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The diary opens in September 1811 and closes in December 1812. In addition to diary entries, the story is told through letters, invitations, and illustrations. In these entries, Lizzy reveals her 'true' feelings about her sisters, her parents, Mr. Darcy, George Wickham, Mr. Collins, etc.

Lizzy Bennet's Diary does a good job--mainly--in capturing the heart of the classic novel by Jane Austen. The novel itself will always be "better" than any adaptation. But it does work as an adaptation of the classic for younger middle grade readers and young teens. Looking closely at the illustrations proves amusing, for example. It looks like Marcia Williams had a LOT of fun drawing these beloved characters! I liked her drawing of Lady Catherine de Bourgh!

Overall, I thought it was a quick and enjoyable read.

© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

Definitely will take a look at this, just to see how well it would do with my students! Can't say I read the original until I was in my twenties.