Saturday, January 18, 2014

Week in Review: January 12-18

Doomsday Book. Connie Willis. 1992. Random House. 592 pages.  [Source: Book I Bought]
The Road to Yesterday. L.M. Montgomery 1974. McGraw-Hill Ryerson Limited. 252 pages.
Risked (The Missing #6). Margaret Peterson Haddix. 2013. Simon & Schuster. 320 pages. [Source: Library]
The Courts of Love. Jean Plaidy. 1987. Broadway Books. 576 pages. [Source: Bought]
The Boys in the Boat. Daniel James Brown. 2013. Viking. 416 pages. [Source: Library]
Sense and Sensibility. Jane Austen. 1811. 352 pages. [Source: Book I Bought]
The Merchant's Daughter. Melanie Dickerson. 2011. Zondervan. 285 pages. [Source: Library]
Every Waking Moment. Chris Fabry. 2013. Tyndale. 400 pages. [Source: Book I Bought]
How To Read the Bible Through the Jesus Lens: A Guide to Christ-Focused Reading of Scripture. Michael James Williams. 2012. Zondervan. 288 pages. [Source: Book I Bought]

This week's favorite:

This week it was much harder to choose a favorite. Should I choose a reread that I absolutely love, love, love? Three of the books I read this week were rereads: Sense and Sensibility, Doomsday Book, and The Merchant's Daughter. I can honestly say that I love, love, love all three. The Boys in the Boat is nonfiction. And it was LOVELY. I was absolutely captivated by the story. It was everything a book should be. But do I love it more than Doomsday Book?! And can it compete with Austen?! 

I chose The Boys in the Boat. People need to be reminded that nonfiction can be unforgettable and compelling and WOW-worthy!

© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: