Sunday, October 06, 2013

Sunday Salon: Mistress Pat

Mistress Pat. L.M. Montgomery. 1935. 288 pages. [Source: Bought].

Early in the year I decided that I would read ALL of L.M. Montgomery's novels chronologically in one year. (I'm also reading Georgette Heyer chronologically this year.) Almost all of the novels would be rereads with just a handful of exceptions: Magic for Marigold, Pat of Silver Bush, Mistress Pat, and Jane of Lantern Hill. I just LOVED Magic for Marigold. I struggled through Pat of Silver Bush. And I dreaded Mistress Pat. How could I willingly spend more time with Pat? But I wasn't going to let my plans be frustrated. So I persevered through Mistress Pat.

I can honestly say that if my very first introduction to L.M. Montgomery was through the Pat novels, I probably never would have bothered with any of her other novels. The very things I love about L.M. Montgomery are completely missing from the Pat books. Primarily her characterization has almost completely vanished. Earlier books have vibrant, entertaining, interesting characters. Some that you love, love, love. Some that you laugh with. Some that you laugh at. But her earlier books have characters that matter...

If you absolutely LOVED Judy from Pat of Silver Bush... If reading Judy's dialect and listening to her rambling stories gave you a special thrill, then there will be plenty to please you in Mistress Pat.

If you loved hearing Pat ramble on and on about how Silver Bush was her whole world and that she would never ever get married no matter what, then again you'll find plenty to love in Mistress Pat.

If you found Hilary's friendship with Pat to be extra special, then you might be patient and find satisfaction with Mistress Pat.

But Mistress Pat lacks the spark that made earlier Montgomery works unforgettable. Here you find extremely faint traces of the stories that you probably loved more.

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's an impressive challenge that you've set for yourself! I'd like to read all of L.M. Montgomery's novels at some point or another, but I probably can't finish all of them within one year, haha. I read "Pat of Silver Bush" a long time ago, and even though I didn't struggle through it like you did, I didn't continue with the rest of the series for some reason...

Do you have a favorite L.M. Montgomery book that you'd recommend?