Monday, November 12, 2012

The Star Trek Reader

The Star Trek Reader. Twenty-one Novelized Episodes Based on the Exciting Television Series Created by Gene Roddenberry. James Blish. 1968, 1969, 1972. Dutton. 372 pages.

This is the first volume in the book series of adaptations by James Blish. It contains three books, "Star Trek 2," "Star Trek 3," and "Star Trek 8." It was a great introduction to Blish's work. It features stories like, "The Trouble with Tribbles," "The City on the Edge of Forever," "Friday's Child," "Tomorrow is Yesterday," etc.

What surprised me is that I found myself liking the short story adaptations even when I didn't particularly remember liking the episode it was based on. (Though Spock's Brain didn't exactly improve.)

For anyone who loves the characters, the stories, the friendships, the themes of Star Trek The Original Series, this is a MUST. I enjoyed it very much. There is definitely something comforting and satisfying about it. I definitely want to reread it!

Read The Star Trek Reader
  • If you enjoy vintage science fiction
  • If you enjoy Star Trek The Original Series
  • If you enjoy short stories

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Seth said...

I've tried to go back and watch episodes on Netflix, and I just can't. It was great when I was a kid (so was Buck Rogers!), but I can't watch it anymore. But in print I could see it working.