Thursday, April 01, 2010

Catching Fire (YA)


Catching Fire. Suzanne Collins. 2009. [September 2009] Scholastic. 400 pages.
I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since reached into the frozen air. My muscles are clenched tight against the cold. If a pack of wild dogs were to appear at this moment, the odds of scaling a tree before they attacked are not in my favor. I should get up, move around, and work the stiffness from my limbs. But instead I sit, as motionless as the rock beneath me, while the dawn begins to lighten the woods. I can't fight the sun. I can only watch helplessly as it drags me into a day I've been dreading for months.
What has Katniss been dreading? Going on tour. With Peeta. As the two survivors of the Hunger Games, these two are set to tour the twelve districts. Something doesn't feel right about it though. Celebrating the insanity of the game with extravagance and waste while so many in the districts are in desperate need.

Her uneasiness grows even more when she receives an unexpected visit from President Snow right before the tour. What he tells her changes everything...it leads to Katniss questioning everything.

This one is the sequel to The Hunger Games. I wasn't disappointed with this one! I thought it had danger, adventure, and plenty of thrills. I thought it had some unexpected (at least unexpected-to-me) twists to it. And I liked meeting the new characters. Finnick especially.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

7 comments:

Suko said...

Becky, I started reading The Hunger Games many months ago, but then started another book. My daughter read both books and LOVED them; I'd still like to read them.

Serena said...

I really enjoyed this book and thought it was a very strong middle book for the trilogy

Michelle said...

I wasn't sure I was going to like Finnick at first but by the end I though the was an excellent addition to the cast of characters. I wasn't disappointed by this follow-up and I'm eagerly anticipating the last in the series.

Christina T said...

I love the passage that you referenced in the review. I loved Catching Fire and in some ways I think it is even better than the first book. I need to reread both of them before Mockingjay is published.

Amy said...

I enjoyed The Hunger Games and Catching Fire more than I thought I would. I'm looking forward to the third in the series.

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

I enjoyed Catching Fire as well but didn't feel that it lived up to The Hunger Games.

Mary Hanlon Stone said...

Becky, I couldn't agree with you more. My sons had read the Hunger
Games and Catching Fire. I started the first book and read them both between going to work and taking the kids to soccer practice. Definitely a can't-put-down book!
Mary Hanlon Stone