Monday, January 18, 2010

The Big Day Has Arrived


Or....The Winners, The Honors, My Thoughts and Reviews...
The link to the press release*

Newbery Honors...

Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose.
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (my review of The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate)
Where The Mountain Meets The Moon by Grace Lin.
The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick. (my review of The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg.)

My thoughts: I'd have loved it if The Small Adventure Of Popeye and Elvis by Barbara O'Connor had been included. I do look forward to reading the two Honors I haven't read yet.

John Newbery Medal Winner...

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (my review of When You Reach Me)

My thoughts: A bit disappointed. I liked the book. But I only liked it. It didn't wow me like Heart of a Shepherd by Rosanne Parry. Or Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur. Or Umbrella Summer by Lisa Graff. Or Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin.

Caldecott Honor Books

All The World by Liz Garton Scanlon, illustrated by Marla Frazee
Red Sings From Treetops: A Year in Colors by Joyce Sidman, illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski

Randolph Caldecott Medal Winner

The Lion & The Mouse written and illustrated by Jerry Pinkney

My thoughts: Haven't read any of these. Though of course I've heard of All the World and The Lion & The Mouse.

Printz Honor Books

Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman**
The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
Punkzilla by Adam Rapp
Tales of the Madman Underground: An Historical Romance, 1973 by John Barnes

My thoughts: I abandoned two of these actually. Though I can't remember if I ever included them in my Sunday Salon posts as 'abandoned'. I will be picking up The Monstrumologist again. And I hope to get to Punkzilla too.

Michael L. Printz Award Winner

Going Bovine by Libba Bray

My thoughts: I haven't read Going Bovine. And it could be really, really wonderful and oh-so-amazing. But really, I was hoping for Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork.

Coretta Scott King (Author) Honor

Mare's War by Tanita S. Davis.

Coretta Scott King (Author) Winner

Bad News for Outlaws: The Remarkable Life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U.S. Marshal by Vaunda Micheau Nelson. Illustrated by R. Gregory Christie.

My thoughts: I am looking forward to reading both of these. I do have a copy of Mare's War about the house somewhere, so I'll probably get to that one first. But the other looks good too. And it's illustrated by one of my favorite illustrators, R. Gregory Christie!

Coretta Scott King (Illustrator) Honor

The Negro Speaks of Rivers by Langston Hughes, illustrated by E.B. Lewis

Coretta Scott King (Illustrator) Winner

My People by Langston Hughes, illustrated by Charles R. Smith Jr. (My review of My People).

My thoughts: I loved My People. I did. I thought it was beautiful and amazing. I'll have to seek the other out at some point.

Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe New Talent Author Award

The Rock and the River by Kekla Magoon

My thoughts: I really really want to read this one!

Coretta Scott King -- Virginia Hamilton Award for Lifetime Achievement

Walter Dean Myers

My thoughts: Definitely deserves this! Need to read and review more Myers here on the blog.

Pura Belpre (Illustrator) Honors

Diego: Bigger Than Life by Carmen T. Bernier-Grand, illustrated by David Diaz
My Abuelita by Tony Johnston, illustrated by Yuyi Morales
Gracias Thanks by Pat Mora, illustrated by John Parra

Pura Belpre (Illustrator) Winner

Book Fiesta! Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day; Celebremos El dia de los ninos/El dia de los libros by Pat Mora, Illustrated by Rafael Lopez.

Pura Belpre (Author) Honors)

Diego: Bigger Than Life by Carmen T. Bernier-Grand, illustrated by David Diaz
Federico Garcia Lorca by Georgina Lazaro, illustrated by Enrique S. Moreiro

Pura Belpre (Author) Winner

Return to Sender by Julia Alvarez


Schneider Family Book Award

Django by Bonnie Christensen (written and illustrated)
Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin (my review of Anything But Typical)
Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork (my review of Marcelo in the Real World)

My thoughts: Oh so excited to see two of my favorites win here! (I haven't come across Django though it sounds like it would be really good too. And I do love jazz-related picture books.)

William C. Morris Award

Flash Burnout by L.K. Madigan

My thoughts: And to think I was this close to picking this one up on my last trip to the library.

Geisel Honor Books

I Spy Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold (My review I Spy Fly Guy!)
Little Mouse Gets Ready by Jeff Smith
Mouse and Mole: Fine Feathered Friends by Wong Herbert Yee
Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day by Kate McMullan

Theodor Seuss Geisel Award

Benny and Penny in the Big No-No by Geoffrey Hayes

Margaret A. Edwards Award (Lifetime Achievement)

Jim Murphy

My thoughts: I'm really excited to see Jim Murphy win! I definitely need to review more of his books! I really love the few of his that I've read. Though I think most of them came in pre-blogging days.

Sibert Honor Books

The Day-Glo Brothers: The True Story of Bob and Joe Switzer's Bright Ideas and Brand-New Colors by Chris Barton, illustrated by Tony Persiani
Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11 by Brian Floca
Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice by Phillip Hoose.

Robert F. Sibert Medal Winner

Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared To Dream by Tanya Lee Stone

My thoughts: Definitely need to seek all of these out!

Batchelder Honor Books

Big Wolf and Little Wolf by Nadine Brun-Cosme, illustrated by Olivier Tallec, translated by Claudia Bedrick
Eidi by Bodil Bredsdorff, translated by Kathryn Mahaffy
Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness by Nahoko Uehashi, illustrated by Yuko Shimizu, translated by Cathy Hirano

Mildred L. Batchelder Award Winner

A Faraway Island by Annika Thor, translated by Linda Schenck

My thoughts: I'll be reading Moribito II and A Faraway Island at some point I know. I'll see if I can find the others as well.

*Also included in the press release, the Alex Awards, the May Hill Arbuthnot Honor Lecture Award, Andrew Carnegie Medal, and the Odyssey Award.

**Also won the YALSA Excellence in Nonfiction Award

ETA: The BEST BOOKS FOR YOUNG ADULTS (BBYA) 2010 list is now available.
Also their TOP TEN LIST.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Paige Y. said...

Yet another year when I have not read any of the winners. At least my library owns a number of them so I can go ahead and start reading.

KT said...

Thanks for the awards run-down! I feel like I haven't read any of these, sadly, but at least that's a ton of books to add to the reading list!

Bill said...

Great look at the list, I really like your thoughts on the winners, probably because I agree with them, especially on the Newbery.

Sherry said...

For what it's worth, I abandoned Going Bovine---too much madness and random weirdness for me. I was rooting for Marcelo, too.

Kailana said...

Lots of good looking books listed. Several of them I have read.