Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #46

Happy Sunday everyone! I've been watching my skating--like always--and one thing that really stood out to me yesterday was the commentary. Figure skating commentary can be really harsh and not-so-nice. True, anyone can tell when a skater is really, really off. But sometimes the commentary gets a bit too much. A bit too Simon Cowell in places. It can definitely be subjective; and commentators can play favorites. Anyway, here is one of my favorites--not for the commentary--there is none--but for the skating itself.



What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

Road to Tater Hill. Edith M. Hemingway. 2009. Random House. 214 pages.
No Girls Allowed (Dogs Okay) by Trudi Trueit. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 118 pages.
The Funeral Director's Son by Coleen Murtagh Paratore. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 135 pages.
Dog Whisperer: The Rescue by Nicholas Edwards. 2009. SquareFish. 216 pages.
Dessert First by Hallie Durand. 2009. Simon & Schuster. 154 pages.
Al Capone Shines My Shoes. Gennifer Choldenko. 2009. Penguin. 274 pages.
The Shadow Dragons. James A. Owen. 2009. 417 pages.
The Swiss Courier. Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey. 2009. Revell. 324 pages.

What I read this past week and reviewed:

Wanting Mor. Rukhsana Kahn. 2009. Groundwood Books. 190 pages.
Casebook for Victor Frankenstein. Peter Ackroyd. 2008. 353 pages.
Slaughterhouse-Five. Kurt Vonnegut. 1969. 205 pages.
A Constant Heart by Siri Mitchell. 2008. Bethany House. 384 books.

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

Mary Barton. Elizabeth Gaskell. 487 pages.
Colonel Brandon's Diary by Amanda Grange. 2008. 295 pages.
Brushing Mom's Hair by Andrea Cheng. 2009. Wordsong. 60 pages.

What I've read and really, really need to review:

Touched by a Vampire: Discovering the Hidden Messages in the Twilight Saga by Beth Felker Jones. 2009. Multnomah. 180 pages.
Thirsty. Tracey Bateman. 2009. Waterbrook Press. 376 pages.

What I'm currently reading:

Man and Wife. Wilkie Collins.
Arabella by Georgette Heyer
Searching for Pemberley by Mary Lydon Simonsen

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

The Silver Blade by Sally Gardner

What I've abandoned
:

The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (just for now; I'll be back to it later)
Dracula by Bram Stoker (probably abandoned until next year)
The Monk by Matthew Lewis (same here)

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Allison said...

I love watching figure skating. I have tried to skate - once. It was way too slippery for me.. so I appreciate anyone who can do it, let alone so gracefully!

Unknown said...

Do you read while watching the skating? How do you get so much read each week?!
I just "discovered" Georgette Heyer and am loving her!