Friday, June 19, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: (On Friday) Sci-Fi

btt button

One of my favorite sci-fi authors (Sharon Lee) has declared June 23rd Fantasy and Science Fiction Writers Day.

As she puts it:

So! In my Official Capacity as a writer of science fiction and fantasy, I hereby proclaim June 23 Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Day! A day of celebration and wonder! A day for all of us readers of science fiction and fantasy to reach out and say thank you to our favorite writers. A day, perhaps, to blog about our favorite sf/f writers. A day to reflect upon how written science fiction and fantasy has changed your life.

So … what might you do on the 23rd to celebrate? Do you even read fantasy/sci-fi? Why? Why not?

I do read fantasy and science fiction. I don't love everything I've tried. But I've loved a good bit of it!

Orson Scott Card is my favorite science fiction writer. I love Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead especially. I love Andrew Wiggin :)

I also love Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles.

I also love Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy. Just the trilogy. Not those later Foundation novels that were just messed up.

I also love H.G. Wells. The Time Machine and War of the Worlds especially!

And Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was just fun. How could I not love that?

I also love science fiction because under its umbrella is the whole sub-genre of dystopian fiction. I love, love, love me a good dystopian novel.

Time travel and alternate realities are also fun treats for me :)


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too love dystopian fiction, especially ones that have to do with women's rights in the future (for example, The Handmaid's Tale).

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yep, I'm another dystopian fan. I list two in my own BTT this week. Maybe more.

And Ender Wiggin? Love! I need to read the newer additions to the series; they're here on Mt. TBR beside me, taunting me... *sigh*

I need more time to read.

Sharon E. Dreyer said...

This is a great site! Glad I found it and will come again. Check out my first and recently released novel, Long Journey to Rneadal. This exciting tale is a romantic action adventure in space and is more about the characters than the technology.