Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Travel the World: Colin McNaughton

We're Off To Look For Aliens by Colin McNaughton boasts that it's "two books in one!" Personally, I wasn't all that impressed. It could have been an off day for me, of course, I haven't really seen what others think of this one. It was one of those books that was "just okay" for me. I didn't hate it. Didn't dislike it. But I didn't love it. I just am indifferent to it really. The first book, the framework story, is about an author-dad who is excited that his book has arrived in the mail. He's anxious to pass the book to his kids and see what they think of his book. Dad is too "nervous" to watch his kids read the book, so he takes the dog for a walk. The second book, found in the middle of the book, is WE'RE OFF TO LOOK FOR ALIENS. That book is about a young boy, or possibly young man, who goes off with his dog into outer space. He goes exploring here and there and whatnot. I *don't* want to offer any spoilers so I won't say much more about that. The rest of the book is just their response to their dad's book. Again I don't want to spoil it because there's a bit of a twist.

The text of the second book is fun and light and playful. It was rhythmic. It was repetitive. It was enjoyable.



So you might enjoy this one. You might really love it. You might have an enthusiastic response to this one. I didn't. But picture books are super-subjective. And an interest in aliens would be a big bonus. And I think being a kid would be too. Sometimes adults just are too grown up to really "get" a kid's book.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: