Sunday, July 06, 2008

Newbery Database

In case anyone is super-obsessive like me, I thought I'd share my database of Newbery Honors & Award Winners. You may view the document here. Sheet One is organized by year (2008-1922). Sheet Two is organized by author (A-Z). Sheet Three is organized by Title (A-Z).

I created the list (in part) so I could manipulate the data and sort it. I also thought about tracking which ones were still available in libraries today. Or which ones were still in print today. And I also considered for a bit undertaking a project to see how many of these winners/honors are now politically incorrect. A LOT has changed since 1922 when it comes to representing different races, ethnicities, cultures. And I would imagine gender roles might also be a bit of an issue in a few of these. But I really haven't had time to do anything with this idea yet. If I was still in school, this would make a great independent study. :)

It would also be interesting to see which books held up through the years. Is a book boring or exciting? Is it still relevant? Would any kid voluntarily read it? Is there a reason it's out of print?

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - thanks for the info!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've now read all the Newbery books, and, believe me, there are many that are politically incorrect.

Take a look at the original Dr. Doolittle...Story of Mankind...Smoky the Cowhorse...

And I haven't even gotten to the honor books yet....

Unknown said...

Great idea, Becky! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've got this list on my site as well. I'm curious, how many have you read? I just started this year but would like to have read all of them at some point in the future. It would be useful to know which ones are out of print.

Debi said...

Yet another reason to love you, Becky! It's nice to know one isn't alone in their obsessiveness!