Tuesday, May 13, 2008

East


Pattou, Edith. 2003. East.

This one is really really really good. A true must-read in the fairy tales novelization genre. Told through many narrators, it retells the fairy tale "East of the Sun and West of the Moon" in a way that just works. I couldn't imagine when I picked it up that I would like it so much. That it would take the place of Beauty by Robin McKinley or Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. But this one is just oh-so-magical. It's rich in detail and it's just wonderful. If I don't sound quite myself, it's because I'm sick. And I hate being sick. It clouds the mind and makes reviewing difficult. But the book is due back tomorrow...so there was no waiting.

First sentence of prologue: I found the box in the attic of an old farmhouse in Norway. It was large, the size of a footlocker, and there were markings on it; runes, I learned later.

First sentence of chapter one: Ebba Rose was the name of our last-born child. Except it was a lie. Her name should have been Nyamh Rose. But everyone called her Rose rather than Ebba, so the lie didn't matter. At least, that is what I told myself.

494

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Erin said...

Wow, glad you liked this so much. It is pretty great. :)

Ana S. said...

I so need to get this one! It's based on my favourite fairy tale and I've heard nothing but great things about it.

DesLily said...

really glad to hear this one is so good!.. it's sitting in my tbr pile!! Reports of enjoyment help! haha..

Hope you feel better soon! Being sick is a bummer for sure.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this one, but you sold me.

Framed said...

Wonderful review. I loved this book also.