Sunday, March 30, 2008

Must Haves for Cinderella fans of all ages


Rodger & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1957) starring Julie Andrews. What could be more magical than Julie Andrews playing Cinderella??? And once you've seen the movie, how could you not want to have the soundtrack??? Other Rodgers & Hammerstein editions include the 1997 one starring Brandy. (Among many many many stars) I only wish they'd made a soundtrack to go with it. Seriously. What were they thinking? There is also the 1965 edition starring Lesley Ann Warren. They do have the soundtrack for that one oddly enough.

Ever After is oh-so-magical. Could the Prince be more swoon-worthy??? I think not. And I love the score to this movie. George Fenton is wonderful.

Of course a few might argue that Walt Disney's Cinderella would be a must-have. And I'm not denying that it's nice. Dad has been the somewhat proud and happy recipient of that one both on VHS and DVD. It isn't my fault Disney has a wicked sense of humor and always releases it the first week of October!!! To his credit (for having received it so many times) he does think it is the only proper Cinderella. He won't sit through the Rodgers & Hammerstein. He keeps saying, "Where are the singing mice???"

And although not strictly Cinderella-related, it doesn't get better than 2007's Enchanted. It is so wonderfully perfectly magical.



And talk about perfect timing. Let's transition to books. Do yourself a favor, make haste to Amazon and order Walt Disney's Cinderella by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Mary Blair. You can thank me later. It is the BEST BEST BEST book ever. And at the moment it appears to be bargain priced, in hardcover, for only $6.99!!!!!!

That one is a true must read. Not only is the text brilliant--above and beyond anything Disney ever thought of doing--the illustrations are outstanding. Mary Blair did the concept art for the Disney film.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree on the lack of a soundtrack for the Brandy version of Rogers and Hammerstein's musical. I loved that version, and it frustrates me that I can't get a soundtrack of it. I mean, why?