Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sunshine

McKinley, Robin. 2003. Sunshine.

I didn’t know what to expect from Sunshine. I knew it was a vampire novel. I knew it was either a YA book or an adult book with crossover appeal. I knew that it was supposed to be less romantic and conform more to traditional ‘vampire lit’ than Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. But I didn’t know quite what to expect. It was exciting. It was interesting. I’m glad I read it, but I still don’t know what to think about it now that I’m finished with it. It was good. But I wasn’t blown away with it. I enjoyed it. But it left me wanting more. I guess that says more about me than the book. Has Twilight spoiled all other vampire books for me? Am I expecting every vampire to be as dreamy as Edward? Every heroine as likeable as Bella? Maybe so. But here is a little summary of Sunshine.
Sunshine is a young woman--who has been out of high school for at least a year or so--who finds herself kidnapped by vampires. She is given as a ‘sacrifice’ to a vampire, Con, who is being held prisoner. What their captors don’t know is that Sunshine is not an ordinary human. She is part-Other. She can change objects. She changes a pocket-knife into a key and unlocks the cuffs that hold her. Not content just to rescue herself, she sets the vampire free as well. Now they must work together to gain their freedom. With their combined powers--somehow, she has the power to protect him from bursting into flames in the sunlight--they make their way home. Her life is forever changed, and she can’t help but wonder if that’s the last she’ll hear of her vampire-hero. It wouldn’t be much of a book, if she didn’t. It turns out that their miraculous escape is only the beginning of the troubles ahead for the unlikely duo. Survival means depending on the one person you thought you’d never be able to trust.

No comments: